Wine Beverage Management
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Explores organization of a beverage program within the operation of a hospitality business. Introduces the world of wine and beverage including beer and distilled beverages. Emphasizes major wine regions, varietals, viticulture, the winemaking process, and food and wine pairings.
1. Discuss the origin and unique characteristics of major grape varietals.
2. Identify wine and food pairing strategies on a menu.
3. Demonstrate wine opening and beverage service techniques.
4. Explain the variables needed to arrange and compile an effective wine and beverage menu.
5. Discuss how environmental and geographical factors impact wine styles.
6. Explain the basic principles of wine, beer, and distilled beverage production.
• Grape agricultural practices (viticulture)
• Wine storage
• Wine styles
• Unique wine attributes
• Grape variety identification
• Food and wine pairing
• Wine opening and service techniques
• Wine tasting method
• Wine production
• Wine label identification
Requires a uniform and textbook available at the COCC Bookstore.
Grades are determined by daily competency-based learning activities, assignments, midterm, final practical, and written exam and final project.