HS 162 : Effective Helping Skills I
Effective Helping Skills I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Focus is on skills of interacting with people both verbally and non-verbally, as well as the ethical and cultural underpinnings to helping and interviewing. Emphasis placed on understanding and application of the principles of interviewing. Significant concentration on practicing skills with peers.
1. Demonstrate effective counselor characteristics and behaviors through oral, written, and nonverbal communication and expressions.
2. Demonstrate essential interviewing and counseling skills.
3. Describe factors, such as cultural diversity, ethics and personal values, which influence the helping process.
4. Demonstrate an orientation to wellness and prevention as desired counseling goals; including values assessment and self-care strategies appropriate to the counseling role.
5. Illustrate self-awareness to promote therapeutic relationships and appropriate professional boundaries.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Related Instruction/Human Relations