Youth and Addictions
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Introduces child/adolescent biopsychosocial development and evaluates the effects of substance abuse on that development. Covers the signs of substance abuse and addiction; describes assessment, treatment, and prevention philosophies, protocols and models; describes recovery and covers relapse prevention and the signs of relapse in young people.
Course learning outcomes
1. Describe adolescent brain development.
2. Evaluate the Biopyschosocial-spiritual model as it relates to adolescents, Adverse Child Experiences and risk for addictions.
3. Evaluate assessment and treatment approaches for adolescents.
4. Examine adolescent social/emotional/relational development.
5. Describe developmental pathways to Substance Use Disorder and Co-Occurring Psychiatric Disorders in adolescents.