HST 106 : Modern World History: Industrialization, Nations and War (1800-Present
World History: 1800 - present
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Traces the impact of industrialization upon the world. Industrialization propelled colonial expansion by European powers; traces the colonizers and the colonized. The twentieth century endured two world wars, several genocides, and several wars of decolonization; focuses on the cultural and intellectual trends that went along with political turmoil, industrialization, and modern warfare. Need not be taken in sequence.
1. Interpret the relationship between the past and the present, which takes into account social, cultural, political, and religious perspectives.
2. Analyze primary historical evidence of the modern World.
3. Identify historical arguments found in secondary sources.
4. Construct an historical argument in a written essay.
5. Challenge shared assumptions and cultural stereotypes through discussion, written and oral means.
6. Identify the chronology and construct a narrative about the modern World.
7. Identify geographical context of historical events in the modern World.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Social Science
- Cultural Literacy