LMT 265 : Sports Massage
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
The principles of deep tissue massage, neuromuscular therapies, and muscle energy techniques will be applied to target athletic performance and recovery, as well integrating techniques to aide in rehabilitation of athletic related injuries.
1. Demonstrate basic principles of athletic performance and sport-specific movements.
2. Design and implement a Sports Massage treatment plan.
3. Analyze a treatment plan based on sports injury and recovery.
4. Apply principles of basic physiological effects of athletic performance.
5. Analyze circumstances for pre-race, post-race massage, and on-site Sports Massage.
6. Apply techniques of Deep Tissue and Muscle Energy Techniques pertaining to athletes.
Introductions and discussion of class format
What is sports massage?
Final project assigned
Sports massage broken down into categories
Assessment and understanding of athletes and athletic performance
Massage methods introduced
Physiological and psychological effects within athletes during performance and at rest
Neuromuscular therapies introduced
Targeting breath recruitment and performance enhancement
Target muscles of the neck and upper torso/ shoulder
Stretching targeting muscles of the upper extremities
Introduction to pelvic girdle and low back
Introduction to leg and lower extremities
Athletes special accommodations
Injury specific overview
All tests, quizzes, and practical exams are based on the REQUIRED Textbook(s) for this course, as well as material posted on blackboard.