Intro to Clinical Med Assist
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
First of two classes that introduce key cognitive, psychomotor and affective competencies related to the clinical responsibilities of the medical assistant as identified by the CAAHEP and the MAERB. Covered concepts include application of standard precautions and infection control, patient preparation and education, performance of vital signs, delivery of oral and parenteral medications, vision screening and application of skills to begin assisting with medical exams and procedures. Math component includes basic skills in preparation for understanding and calculating medication dosage. Body structure, function, pathology, and medical terminology are reviewed in relationship to their impact on various body systems.
1. Demonstrate safe and professional behavior including reliability, responsibility and appropriate application of standard precautions and aseptic and sterile technique.
2. Measure vital signs.
3. Room a patient and assist with an exam.
4. Prepare oral and parenteral medications.
5. Prepare patient for exams, procedures and specimen collection.
1. Standards precautions and infection control
2. Clinical information collection
3. Physical information collection
4. Introductory testing
5. Introduction to Clinical application of pharmacology
6. Assisting with basic procedures
7. Introduction to pediatric patient care
8. Introduction to medication administration
9. Clinical application of math concepts
Required textbook and software, BP cuff, stethoscope, watch, lab coat uniform, access to the internet and computer.
Grades may be determined by weekly homework, midterm exam, final exam, and in-person demonstration; may include discussion, short essays, and in-class presentation; students must pass each class with a 75% or better, must have an average test score in each class of 75% or better; must pass 100% of the psychomotor and affective competencies in each class to progress in the program; minimum attendance requirement, see syllabi for grading details.