Intro to Prof Med Assist
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Introduces medical assistant key competencies related to office practices and administrative responsibilities defined by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs and the Medical Assisting Educational Review Board. Includes concepts related to professionalism, diversity, confidentiality, communication, telephone techniques, legal concepts, scheduling, triage skills, and office safety.
Course learning outcomes
1. Identify components of professional medical assisting role, incorporating relevant legal and regulatory guidelines.
2. Apply principles of environmental safety and emergency planning in a medical setting.
3. Use professional verbal and nonverbal communication.
4. Model accountability, reliability, and respect for diversity.
5. Perform patient education according to principles of education theory.
I. Scope of Practice and Standard of Care
II. Professionalism in Medical Assisting
III. Legal Concepts
IV. Ethics and Personal Ethics
V. Bill of Rights and Intro to the Electronic Health Record
VI. Communication and Barriers to Communication
VI. Documentation and Americans with Disabilities Act
VIII. Diversity in Medical Assisting
IX. Telephone Communication
X. Office Safety and Patient Education Project
Computer and textbook is required.