Welding Technology I
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Prerequisites with concurrency
First course in a three-course sequence focused on introductory level skills used in structural plate welding in accordance to AWS D1.1 Structural Steel Welding code. Introduces basic welding processes, safety, nomenclature, and equipment operation for introduction to perform 1F and 2F weldments using shielded metal arc welding (SMAW) welding and gas metal arc welding (GMAW) on mild steel.
Course learning outcomes
1. Demonstrate safe practices while using SMAW, and GMAW process in the MATC Welding Lab.
2. Demonstrate appropriate set up, maintenance, and use of SMAW equipment for basic weldments.
3. Demonstrate appropriate set up, maintenance, and use of GMAW equipment for basic weldments.
4. Weld common joint assemblies with SMAW and GMAW processes to AWS D1-1 Structural Steel Welding Code.
5. Apply visual and destructive examination principles and practices in accordance with AWS D1-1.
- Welding Safety
- Personal safety by using proper protective gear
- Power tool safety
- Maintain a safe work area
- Fundamentals of shielded metal arc welding (SMAW) operations
- Welding equipment setup, shut down
- Electrode characteristics
- Welding arc length and travel speed
- Welding starting, stopping and restarting techniques
- Welding bead placement
- Fundamentals of gas metal arc welding (GMAW) operations
- Weld examination principles and practices in accordance with American Welding Society (AWS) standards
This class requires the purchase of safety equipment, reference books, measurement equipment, and tools.