MFG 257 : CNC Mill Setup & Operation
CNC Mill Setup Operation
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Prerequisites with concurrency
Introduces basic operation and setup used with Fanuc compatible CNC Mill machining centers.
1. Apply machine shop safety concepts and safety practices.
2. Demonstrate the functions of automatic and manual CNC Mill machine operations.
3. Explain five CNC Mill modes of operation including manual, manual data input (MDI), edit, and program operation - memory (automatic) and tape.
4. Describe the key sequences of a CNC Mill machine operation for machining centers.
5. Demonstrate CNC Mill program verification such as: safety priorities, running good parts, and verification of programs.
• CNC Mill Machine safety
• CNC Mill Machine nomenclature
• Controller modes and operation of CNC Mill including the use of the buttons, switches, and keys found on CNC Mill machine control units (MCU), the control panel display, machine operation, feed, spindle speed, tool changing, and axis motion, and automatic/manual operation of the machine tool.
• Tool holder setups
• Establishing cutter tool length compensation for CNC Mill
• Tooling page editing
• Part cutting operations
• Conversational programming basics for CNC Mill
Requires textbook and required tools for second term machining students.
Grades based on: participation of lab activities, and a final in the form of a written exam and/or practical application.