MFG 260 : CNC Lathe Setup & Operation
CNC Lathe Setup Operation
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Prerequisites with concurrency
Introduces basic operation and setup used with Fanuc compatible CNC Lathe machining centers.
1. Apply machine shop safety concepts and safety practices.
2. Demonstrate the functions of automatic and manual CNC Lathe machine operations.
3. Explain five CNC Lathe modes of operation including manual, manual data input (MDI), edit, and program operation - memory (automatic) and tape.
4. Describe the key sequences of CNC Lathe machine operation for machining centers.
5. Demonstrate CNC Lathe program verification such as: safety priorities, running good parts, and verification of programs.
• CNC Lathe Machine safety
• CNC Lathe Machine nomenclature
• Controller modes and operation of a CNC Lathe, including the use of the buttons, switches, and keys found on CNC Lathe machine control units (MCU), the control panel display, machine operation, feed, spindle speed, tool changing, and axis motion and automatic/manual operation of the machine tool.
• Tool holder setups
• Establishing cutter tool length compensation for a CNC Lathe
• Tooling page editing
• Part cutting operations
• Conversational programming basics for a CNC Lathe
Requires textbook and required tools for second term machining students.
Grades based on: participation in lab activities and a final in the form of a written exam and/or practical application.