MUS 161 : Jazz Improvisation
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Introduces students to jazz improvisation in a laboratory (performance) setting. No previous experience or knowledge about jazz or improvisation necessary. Students should have some previously developed proficiency on an instrument or voice. May be repeated, no limit.
1. Students will be able to perform several jazz rhythms in correct style.
2. Students will be able to play easy scales, triads, and seventh chords from memory.
3. Students will be able to solo against 8, 4, and 2-measure vamps.
4. Students will be able to improvise through simple progressions including the "turn-around."
5. Students will be able to perform songs in swing and Latin style.
6. Students will be able to improvise the blues in minor and major keys.
7. Rhythm Section students will be able to accompany in the jazz style.