Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Introduces students to jazz improvisation in a laboratory (performance) setting. No previous experience or knowledge about jazz or improvisation necessary. Students should have some previously developed proficiency on an instrument or voice. May be repeated, no limit.
Course learning outcomes
1. Perform several jazz rhythms in correct style.
2. Play easy scales, triads, and seventh chords from memory.
3. Solo against 8, 4, and 2-measure vamps.
4. Improvise through simple progressions including the "turn-around".
5. Perform songs in swing and Latin style.
6. Improvise the blues in minor and major keys.
7. Rhythm Section students will be able to accompany in the jazz style.