Intro to Music: World Music
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Focuses on the place of music in human society. Examines instruments, people, and activities surrounding musical events in diverse parts of the world. Introduces the field of ethnomusicology, the discipline that studies music and music cultures of the world, how they make music, and how they interpret and engage with the music that they make.
1. Identify notable works of music and composers from around the world, outside of the Western tradition.
2. Use musical arts vocabulary and language.
3. Discuss the relationships between music and society in historical, social, cultural, and philosophical contexts.
4. Explain compositional and performance techniques used by musicians from various world cultures.
• Introducing world music and Ethnomusicology
• How to do musical ethnography
Sound and Music
• Musical Instruments of the world
Music from around the world
• Music of Africa
• Music of Indonesia
• Music of India
• Music of Europe
• Music of the Middle East
• Music of the Americas
Class will require a textbook and/or readings determined by the instructor.
Grades will be determined by exams, written research and reflection assignments, quizzes, presentations, in-class exercises and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists