Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
OL 171, OL 271, OL 273.
Designed to introduce the student to guiding, teaching and leading technical mountain travel with specific emphasis on rock, snow, and ice anchors; glacier travel and crevasse rescue; and climbing steeper snow and ice. Additional relevant topics may also be introduced (e.g., avalanche safety, high altitude).
1. Plan and organize a basic alpine travel curriculum for novice through intermediate participants.
2. Assess and Support beginning level participants during an alpine climbing program.
3. Apply effective risk management methods for an alpine climbing program
4. Integrate an assessment of a client’s abilities and limitations into an appropriate alpine climbing program.
5. Determine effective decisions concerning specific ethical considerations of alpine climbing.