Intro to Physio Psychology
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
BI 121, BI 122, BI 231, BI 232, BI 233 or PSY 201.
This course provides a scientific introduction to the brain's anatomy and function. It builds a foundation for understanding sensory and motor systems, brain rhythms and brain plasticity. Essential neurophysiological processes that underlie topics such as human development, cognitive and emotional behavior, gender, and psychological disorders will be presented.
Course learning outcomes
1. Identify the cellular and anatomical structures and functions of the nervous system and endocrine system as it applies to human behavior.
2. Identify parts of the human brain, eye, and ear using lab models.
3. Understand the biological basis of learning-and-memory formation in the hippocampus.
4. Understand the limbic system and its role as the emotional brain.
5. Understand the brain’s reward system and how it relates to addiction.
6. Understand the biological, neuronal, and chemical basis of psychiatric disorders and how they are treated.
General education/Related instruction lists