SOC 212 : Race, Class, and Gender
Race, Class, and Gender
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Analyzes the relationship between race, class, and gender and political and economic systems. Critically examines the interrelationship between race, class, and gender and societal structures and history.
1. Analyze the intersections between social class ,race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, and other areas of difference.
2. Examine and evaluate alternative perspectives and opinions while challenging assumptions regarding the influence of social forces on social groups.
3. Apply sociological theories and concepts to course readings, case studies, and historical and contemporary events.
1. Sociological perspective
2. The matrix of domination
3. Social construction and sociological analysis of race
4. Intersection theory
5. Whiteness and white privilege
6. Social construction of sociological analysis of gender
7. Social construction of sociological analysis of race
8. Colorblind racism
All readings available online.
Grades will be determined by homework assignments, exams, and discussion and participation.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Discipline Studies/Social Science
- Discipline Studies/Cultural Literacy