SOC 250 : Sociology of Popular Culture
Sociology of Popular Culture
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Course applies a sociological perspective to the study of films, music, advertising and other forms of popular culture. Three separate elements of popular culture are examined: the production of culture, the reception of culture and the text or symbols themselves.
1. To examine and differentiate between the central sociological theories of popular culture.
2. To apply sociological theories to selected areas of popular culture.
3. To examine the interrelationship between historical processes and cultural values and popular culture.
4. To analyze the ways in which popular culture influences personal identities.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Discipline Studies/Social Science
- Discipline Studies/Cultural Literacy