1st Year Spanish II
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
SPAN 101 or one year of high school Spanish.
Continues the development of reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. Focuses on the concepts of weather, time date, clothing, colors, regular -er/-ir verbs, the verb gustar, interrogatives, stem-changing verbs (i-ie, e-i, o-ue), the city, the home, furniture appliances, the verb estar (used with prepositions, adjectives, the present progressive, and contrasted with the verb ser), the verb ir and the phrase ir + inifinitivo (used to refer to the future), and adjectives referring to physical and emotional states. Students are encouraged to review SPAN 101 concepts and vocabulary prior to class.
Course learning outcomes
1. Create meaningful, creative phrases in the present and future tenses.
2. Use an increased vocabulary and a variety of memorized phrases in predictable settings.
3. Initiate and respond to requests for information typical of “real world” situations in Spanish using personalized responses.
4. Read and/or listen to authentic materials in Spanish and understand their meaning.
5. Recognize linguistic and cultural diversity within the Spanish-speaking world through the continued study of history, literature, art, music, film, and gastronomy.
6. Use both online and traditional resources to locate and manipulate new words and unfamiliar concepts.