1st Year Spanish III
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
SPAN 102 or two years of high school Spanish.
Final course in the first-year sequence. Continues the development of reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. Focuses on the concepts of , professions, verbs with changes in the first person (yo), saber/conocer, body parts, reflexive verbs, adverbs of time and frequency, sports and outdoor activities, the preterite tense (including regular, stem-changing, and irregular verbs), food vocabulary, por/para, vocabulary related to meals and table settings, and direct object pronouns. Students are encouraged to review the concepts of SPAN 101 and SPAN 102 prior to class.
1. Create meaningful, creative phrases in the past (preterit), present and future tenses.
2. Use an increased vocabulary and a variety of memorized phrases in some predictable and an increased number of unpredictable settings.
3. Initiate and respond to more complicated requests for information typical of “real world” situations in Spanish using personalized responses.
4. Read and/or listen to authentic materials in Spanish and understand their meaning on several levels
5. Recognize linguistic and cultural diversity within the Spanish-speaking world through the continued study of history, literature, art, music, film, and gastronomy.
6. Use both online and traditional resources (dictionaries, word searches, conjugation tables, etc.) to locate, manipulate and employ new words and unfamiliar concepts.