2nd Year Spanish III
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
SPAN 202 or four years of high school Spanish.
Final course in the second-year sequence. Continues with the intermediate development of reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. Focuses on the concepts of estar used with past participles, the presente perfecto, the present subjunctive (used with: impersonal expressions, expressions of doubt, expressions of desire, expressions of emotion, adjective clauses, adverbial clauses and conjunctions), reciprocal verbs, the conditional tense, the past subjunctive, the past perfect tense, and vocabulary covering the following: animals, personal relationships, popular culture, health and medical emergencies, and nationalities and political terms.
1. Create meaningful, creative phrases in the past (preterite), present and future tenses, using an increased number of moods within these tenses.
2. Use an increasingly sophisticated vocabulary in an increased number of unpredictable and more complex settings.
3. Initiate and respond to more complicated requests for information typical of “real world” situations in Spanish using personalized responses.
4. Speculate and/or hypothesize about certain “real world” situations.
5. Read and/or listen to authentic materials in Spanish and understand their meaning on several levels, and formulate responses or reactions to said materials.
6. Recognize linguistic and cultural diversity within the Spanish-speaking world through the continued study of history, literature, art, music, film, and gastronomy.
7. Use both online and traditional resources (dictionaries, word searches, conjugation tables, etc.) to locate, manipulate and employ new words and unfamiliar concepts.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Arts and Letters
- Cultural Literacy