Small Animal Nursing
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
VT 101, VT 102, VT 103 and VT 117.
VT 110, VT 114, VT 118.
Introduces basic techniques necessary for the provision of nursing care to small animals, including small animal restraint, husbandry, behavior, physical examination, medication administration, and grooming. Includes kennel duty experience in the care of a variety of companion animals.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain and demonstrate effective and appropriate restraint techniques for dogs and cats.
2. Describe and perform basic and therapeutic grooming of dogs and cats.
3. Explain and demonstrate proper procedure for administering enteral and topical medication for dogs and cats.
4. Describe and demonstrate general procedures used to perform a physical examination on dogs and cats.
5. Summarize appropriate husbandry techniques for optimum health of dogs and cats.
6. Recognize and interpret animal behaviors and their impact on the care of canine and feline patients.
7. Explain appropriate vaccine protocols for small animals.