Hematology and Urinalysis
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
VT 108, VT 110, VT 114, VT 118.
VT 112, VT 113, VT 116.
Covers laboratory techniques of hematology, serum chemistry, and urinalysis. Also explores special commercial laboratory test procedures.
1. Describe and demonstrate proper handling of blood and urine samples.
2. List indications for and tests used for hematological and serum chemistry testing.
3. Describe and perform hematological and serum chemistry testing.
4. Describe and perform urinalysis.
5. Recognize and explain normal and abnormal findings of urinalysis and hematological and serum chemistry testing.
6. Describe indications and procedures for submitting special commercial laboratory tests.
I. Introduction to the Laboratory
II. Urine Collection and Handling
V. Blood Collection and Handling
VI. Automated Analyzers
VII. Blood Chemistries
VIII. Hematology – CBC
IX. Hematology – morphologic abnormalities
X. Blood Parasites
XII. Blood Typing and Crossmatching
XIV. Clinical Chemistry
XV. Additional Hematologic Tests
XVI. Hematopoietic Disorders
I. Collection of Urine Samples
III. Blood Smears, PCV/TP, Calculations
IV. Retic Count, ELISA
V. Blood Typing and Crossmatching
VII. Leukopet Buffy coat
VIII. Quality Control Measures
Required textbook and a white lab coat.
Assessment will include weekly homework, quizzes, lecture and lab midterm exams, and final exams; may include discussion, short essays, and in-class presentation.