Surg Nursing and Dentistry
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
VT 200, VT 201, VT 203, VT 209, and VT 212.
VT 204, VT 206, VT 208.
Covers common dental problems and dental prophylaxis. Explores pre-operative, operative, and post-operative protocols for routine surgical procedures. Provides hands-on experience in anesthesiology, surgical patient preparation, surgical assistance, and dentistry.
Course learning outcomes
1. Calculate dosages of anesthetic and emergency drugs.
2. Administer anesthetic drugs and implement pain management protocols.
3. Explain and perform anesthetic monitoring and respond appropriately to patients in compromised states.
4. Summarize pre-op, operative, and post-op protocols for routine surgical procedures.
5. Describe and perform pre-operative preparation, operative surgical assisting, and post-operative care for dogs and cats undergoing ovariohysterectomy and orchiectomy.
6. Summarize and demonstrate operating room sanitation and care.
7. Explain and recognize common dental problems.
8. Explain and perform routine dental prophylaxis and charting.
9. Effectively communicate discharge and follow-up instructions to clients.
I. Dentistry – oral exam, prophylaxis, charting, common dental problems
II. Dentistry – periodontal treatments, endodontics, exodontics, local blocks, discharge instructions
III. Preanesthetic bloodwork, Surgical complications, post-operative care
IV. Reproductive surgical procedures
V Surgical procedures- Laparotomies and Orthopedic
VI. Surgical procedures- Eye and Ear
VII. Surgical procedures- Biopsy/mass removal, Laser surgery, Laparoscopy
Weekly Labs consists of preparation and monitoring of surgical patients for spays or neuters, surgical assisting, dental cleanings and pre and post-operative patient care.
Textbook, scrubs, stethoscope, watch with second hand, bandage scissors, small animal thermometer, COCC name tag.