VT 203 : Large Animal Nursing
Large Animal Nursing
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Covers common large animal breeds (ruminant, equine, swine, and chickens). Introduces techniques necessary for the provision of nursing care to large animals, including restraint, husbandry, behavior, physical examination, medication administration, diagnostic sample collection, grooming, bandaging, nutrition, and vaccination. Includes animal husbandry experience in the care of large animals.
1. Explain and demonstrate effective and appropriate restraint techniques for large animals.
2. Summarize and perform basic grooming of large animals.
3. Explain and demonstrate procedures used to perform a physical examination on large animals.
4. Summarize appropriate husbandry techniques for optimum health of large animals.
5. Recognize and interpret large animal behaviors and their impact on the provision of nursing care.
6. Explain the nutritional requirements of large animals and common plant toxicities.
7. Explain appropriate vaccine protocols for large animals.
8. Identify materials needed and explain and demonstrate proper techniques for acquiring samples from large animals for diagnostic techniques.
9. Describe and demonstrate proper procedures for administering medications to large animals.
10. Identify common large animal breeds.