VT 208 : Animal Nutrition
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Covers the basic principles of nutrition, the development of nutrition protocols based on the life stage and health status of the patient, and explores special prescription diets used in veterinary medicine.
1. Calculate energy and nutrient requirements based on life stage and health status of the patient.
2. Explain the potential benefits and toxicities of nutritional supplements.
3. Develop nutrition protocols for hospital patients and clientele.
4. Compare and contrast therapeutic diet options.
5. Explain the nutritional care of newborns.
Introduction, Nutrients, Water
Energy/Body Condition Scoring/Energy Requirements
Pet Food/AAFCO Requirements
Pet Food Labels/Types of Pet Foods
Nutrition in Clinical Practice
Veterinary Prescription Diets
Grades may be determined by nutrition case studies/research project, homework, quizzes, and exams.