Baroque to Early Modern Art
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
WR 065 or higher or minimum placement Wr/Comm Level 7.
Surveys the major periods of visual arts in the West with an emphasis on the Baroque through early Modern eras. Introduces students to the concepts of art and surveys the development of art in historical context from the early 1600s through the turn of the 20th Century. Emphasizes selected works of painting, sculpture, architecture, and other arts studied in relation to the cultures producing them.
1. Identify and discuss major works of art and architecture from the Baroque through Early Modern eras.
2. Utilize vocabulary and language of the visual arts.
3. Discuss the relationships between art and society within their historical, social, cultural, and philosophical contexts.
4. Identify the methods, techniques, and materials used by artists to create their work.
5. Examine and summarize important Baroque through Early Modern artistic contributions to the evolution of Western art and culture.
Introduction; Formal Analysis Overview
Baroque Art in Italy
Baroque Art in Spain Northern Europe
Art in the Age of Enlightenment
The Early 20th Century Avant-Garde
All reading and multimedia materials are online and will be linked on the course Blackboard site.
Grades may be determined by exams, written assignments/essay, journals, quizzes, in-class exercises or other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Arts and Letters
- Cultural Literacy