Native American Art History
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Survey of the arts indigenous to Mesoamerican and North American Indian cultures emphasizing architecture, pottery, painting and the fiber arts.
1. Students will be able to recognize works of art from Mesoamerica and North America including tribal groups, where applicable, with the ability to discuss the historical context including; cultural, social, political and cosmological origins.
2. Students will be able to discuss the changing and unchanging aspects of Native American Art forms and motifs over time.
3. Students will be able to identify major artists whose influence set a new course in the world of Native American art.
4. Students will be able to demonstrate a basic knowledge of the methods, materials and processes of Native American art forms both historical and contemporary.
5. Students will be able to analyze various historical, political, ethical and legal issues surrounding modern Native American art, as well as how those issues may affect the handling of archaeological artifacts.
6. Through a variety of writing assignments, students will utilize research tools and writing approaches provided by the instructor and campus resources.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Arts and Letters
- Cultural Literacy