Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Emphasizes observing and developing fundamental drawing and composition skills. Uses still life material extensively. Covers historical and cultural approaches to drawing and drawing materials.
Course learning outcomes
1. Create still-life contour and tonal drawings with various media.
2. Create drawn compositions in a variety of grayscale media.
3. Analyze drawn artworks.
4. Contextualize work produced within the historical and cultural traditions of drawing.
5. Use media-specific terminology to receive and provide feedback.
- Beginning concepts and vocabulary of drawing
- Contour line drawing: basic, blind, continuous line, and cross contour
- Application of space: positive and negative, figure/ground, distal cues, and perspective
- Application of value: rendering light, shading techniques, and textures
- Compositional strategies: rule of thirds and creating focal point
- Constructive critiques, receiving and giving feedback between instructor and classmates
Students will need to provide specific materials used in this course, please see the syllabus for a detailed list.
General education/Related instruction lists