Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Introduction to traditional black and white film photography including camera operation, composition, film processing, printing and presentation. Emphasis is on creative problem solving and understanding the basic photographic concepts used to create good visual communication. Weekly photo assignments will require shooting outside of class, as will text readings. In-class critiques of work are a major part of this course.
1. Students will critique, identify, and interpret the art form of black and white darkroom photography.
2. Students will summarize and reference highlights of the history of photography.
3. Students will develop and apply creative problem solving skills.
4. Students will be able to explain and execute film shooting, processing, printing, and presentation.
5. Students will begin to develop their own voice as a photographer.
1. Techniques of black and white darkroom photography.
2. Reference highlights of the history of photography.
3. Execute film shooting, processing, printing, and presentation.
Students will need to provide specific materials used in this course, please see the syllabus for a detailed list.
Grading is based on participation in labs, discussions and critiques of completed assignments and the development of critiques and ideas demonstrated in portfolio reviews.