Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Explores the unique qualities of watercolor as a painting medium. Emphasizes fundamental skills, color, and composition while painting from a variety of subjects.
Course learning outcomes
1. Use pigment and medium to paint value, color, and intensity.
2. Create watercolor paintings that incorporate the elements of art, principles of design, and compositional strategies.
3. Compare self-created watercolor paintings to painting's historical and cultural traditions.
4. Use media-specific terminology to receive and provide feedback.
- Beginning concepts and vocabulary of watercolor
- Basic types of watercolor materials: palette, brushes, paints, paper
- Techniques unique to watercolor
- Reference for paintings
- Studio time management
- Constructive critiques, receiving and giving feedback between instructor and classmates
Students will need to provide specific materials used in this course, please see the syllabus for a detailed list.