ART 184 : Watercolor I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Studio exploration of the unique qualities of watercolor as a painting medium. Emphasis on fundamental skills, color and composition while painting from a variety of subjects. Should be taken in sequence.
1. Demonstrate a knowledge of basic watercolor materials: palette, brushes, paints, paper.
2. Explain color and values are used successfully in a painting.
3. Identify the names and works of several major artists.
4. Demonstrate a variety of ways to create texture.
5. Experience intuitive design and play.
6. Develop good working habits.
1. Basic watercolor materials
6. Color and values are used successfully in a painting
7. Names and works of several major artists
9. Design and play
Students will need to provide specific materials used in this course, please see the syllabus for a detailed list.
Grading is based on participation in labs, discussions and critiques of completed assignments and the development of critiques and ideas demonstrated in portfolio reviews.