Marketing Principles I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Develops skills in understanding and developing strategies in the marketing environment. Covers principles and techniques of market research, consumer behavior, product development, pricing, distribution and promotion. Establishes basis for creating a marketing plan.
1. Be able to manage their own time, meet deadlines and properly prepare for meetings.
2. Describe the marketing planning process and general marketing strategies;
3. Develop a marketing mix that works in different competitive environments along with different economic conditions;
4. Conduct market research and relate that information to the design of the marketing mix;
5. Relate changes in the macro-environment to their impact on marketing strategies;
6. Write a competitive analysis describing the competition’s weaknesses and strengths from a marketing standpoint as well as describing marketing opportunities;
7. Develop a marketing mix that aligns with consumer buying patterns and the product life cycle;
8. Differentiate between consumer and business markets and how each is segmented;
9. Write a descriptive profile of a targeted consumer market that includes the use of Tapestry or VALS type segmentation tools;
10. Describe branding and packaging as parts of a marketing strategy;
11. Develop pricing strategies for different market segments;
12. Develop and apply criteria for selecting a distribution strategy;
13. Give examples of the promotional mix and how it is used in marketing;
14. Describe the various types of advertising media and their appropriate uses.
15. Analyze websites for marketing effectiveness.
Analyzing the Market Environment
Market Segmentation and Positioning
Product Development Services
Supply Chain Management
Integrated Marketing Communications
Advertising and Sales Promotions, Social Media
This course is assessed through homework, quizzes, and discussion.