CJ 220 : Introduction to Substantive Law
Intro to Substantive Law
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Examines basic concepts of substantive law and criminal procedural law. Explores effects of substantive laws upon the lives of American citizens through topics such as crimes involving property, fraud and deception, or against persons, state and public order.
1. Students will be able to distinguish what is a crime and what is social deviance.
2. Students will be able to describe the various elements of person and property crimes including homicide, theft, vice, public order, drugs, conspiracy and sexual based offenses.
3. Students will be able to describe the defenses to crimes and each of those requirements.
4. Students will compare Model Penal Code to Oregon Statues.
5. Students will gain a basic understanding of criminal liability and the essence of crime.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Social Science