Introduction to Education
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
Surveys education field and foundations, especially the teaching profession and education's societal role. Explores philosophical, economic, legal, ethical, historical, psychological, and social foundations of teaching and learning. Provides overview of educational methods and approaches. Addresses field specializations and prospective teacher training requirements.
Course learning outcomes
1. Evaluate teaching as a personal career choice.
2. Summarize Oregon teacher certification and learning standards.
3. Analyze the history of American education.
4. Analyze current events, political developments, social trends, and cultural influences that affect American education.
5. Contrast teaching in an early childhood setting to teaching in a secondary education setting.
I. Becoming a Teacher
II. Teaching Stories/ Teaching in Action
III. Overview of Schooling in America
IV. Principles of Teaching Learning
V. Who Are Today's Students?
VI. Trends and Issues in Education
VII. Information Technology in Education
VIII. The Classroom as Community
VIV. Global Education
X. Making the Decision to Become a Teacher