Advanced EMT Part II
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
EMT163 (within the current or previous academic year at COCC); students must have a valid Oregon EMT license, HealthCare provider CPR card, pass a criminal history check, and complete clinical site required immunizations to attend this course.
This is part 2 of a 2-part course. The Advanced Emergency Medical Technician course prepares the AEMT student to provide prehospital assessment and care for patients of all ages with a variety of medical conditions and traumatic injuries. Areas of study include an introduction to emergency medical services systems, roles and responsibilities of AEMT's, anatomy and physiology, medical emergencies, trauma, special considerations for working in the pre hospital setting and providing patient transportation.
1. Describe the roles of EMS in the health care system.
2. Demonstrate the professional attributes expected of AEMTs.
3. Perform the roles and responsibilities of an AEMT with regard to personal safety and wellness, as well as the safety of others.
4. Perform the duties of an AEMT with regard for medical-legal and ethical issues, including functioning under medical direction and within the scope of practice.
5. Apply principles of anatomy, physiology, pathophysiology, life-span development and therapeutic communications to the assessment and management of patients.
6. Identify the need for and perform immediately life-saving interventions to manage a patient’s airway, breathing, and circulation.
7. Assess and manage patients of all ages with a variety of complaints, medical conditions, and traumatic injuries.