First Aid BLS Provider CPR
Standard letter grades
Total contact hours
WR 065 or WR 121Z or minimum placement Wr/Comm Level 9.
First aid and CPR instruction. First aid includes: immediate and temporary care for a wide variety of injuries, illnesses, conditions. CPR includes: patients of all ages; ventilation with a face shield, pocket mask and a bag-mask device; use of an automated external defibrillator; relief of choking; both one- and two-person CPR; and compression-only CPR. Practical exam includes individual hands-on testing; successful completion of course results in a first aid card and an American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Provider Adult Pediatric CPR card.
Course learning outcomes
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Explain the legal ramifications of rendering aid in emergency situations.
3. Identify the emergency action principles involved in scene assessment and victim evaluation.
4. Recognize the signs and symptoms of common medical emergencies including shock, heart attack, stroke, diabetic emergencies, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, hypothermia, unstable injuries (fractures and dislocations), poisoning, and possible spine injury.
5. Select and perform appropriate first aid techniques/treatments for common medical emergencies including bleeding control, wound care, seizures, burns, heart attack, stroke, diabetic emergencies, heat exhaustion, heat stroke, hypothermia, poisoning, splinting of fractures, head injuries, and spine stabilization.
6. Demonstrate the Adult and Pediatric Basic Life Support procedures for airway obstruction in the conscious and unconscious patient, rescue breathing, and CPR.
7. Demonstrate the techniques needed for use of an automated external defibrillator device in accordance with the updated CPR guidelines.
- First aid: Immediate and temporary care for a wide variety of injuries, illnesses, conditions and events
- CPR: Victims of all ages
- Ventilation with a face shield, pocket mask and a bag-mask device
- Use of an automated external defibrillator
- Relief of choking
- Both one- and two-person CPR
- Compression-only CPR
General education/Related instruction lists