HHPA 122 : Yoga-Beginning
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Introduces the basic techniques of yoga incorporating a wide range of yoga styles. Classes vary according to instructor offerings, which include Ashtanga, Hatha, Vinyasa, Yin, Restorative and Kundalini.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of yoga to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Establish the ability to let go of ego, judgment, expectation, and competition by means of regular yoga practice.
4. Develop a mind-body dialogue through breathing techniques, flowing postures, and meditation.
Intro to yoga
Safety and etiquette in class.
Basic anatomy in foundational poses
Breath introduction of yoga poses
Prana and flexibility of yoga poses
Posture modifications and adding yoga poses to sun salutations
Vinyasa yoga poses
Combining strength, balance and flexibility: building on the vinyasa
Acceptance and affirmations
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Foundational Skills/Health