Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
A group class designed to prepare and progressively improve cardiovascular fitness through walking. An emphasis will be placed on monitoring intensity through heart rate. All levels of walkers are welcome.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of walking to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Develop SMART goals based on each student’s personal vision of wellness which include: physical activity, nutrition, and positive self-image.
4. Describe the benefits of walking as a form of exercise.
5. Articulate the importance of a warm-up before walking and the need for a cool-down and stretches after walking.
6. Calculate and use a personal target heart rate zone to appropriately monitor intensity.
7. Explain proper footwear necessary to minimize injury risk while walking.
Intro to progressive walking
Target heart rate
SMART goals strategies
3-day food log entry
Targeting specific fitness categories (i.e., push- ups, squats, core strength)
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists