HHPA 150 : Cultural Dance Fitness
Cultural Dance Fitness
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Designed to introduce individuals to various types of energetic dance styles from Africa to the Caribbean in a fun, dance fitness setting as well as learning the art of choreography. Integrates several dance styles (i.e., West African, Dance Hall, Hip-Hop) to a variety of beats and rhythms from around the world. Designed for all levels.
1. Explain the relationship between human behavior and health.
2. Engage regularly in skills development, safety practices, and fundamentals of cultural dance to develop overall physical fitness and enhance sport activities.
3. Develop a better understanding of the various types of cultural dances and the history of each.
4. Increase student’s ability to memorize and retain different combinations of cultural dance choreography.
Introduction to Cultural dance
Learn dance sequences, West African, Dance Hall)
Review first set of dance sequences
Learn new dance sequences (Hip-Hop, Latin
Review second set of dance sequences
Appropriate equipment will be highlighted and discussed in the first class. Equipment must be provided by the student.
This course will include attendance in the grading and may include written work, quizzes, journal projects and other assignments.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Foundational Skills/Health