Professional Ethics Rules
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
WR 065 or higher or placement in Wr/Comm Level 7; MTH 015 or higher or minimum placement in Math Level 7.
LMT 130, LMT 155.
BI 105 or BI 231.
Explores professional and ethical boundaries governing massage therapy practice. Examines and discusses Oregon Administrative Rules and Revised Statutes applicable to licensed massage therapists.
1. Discuss the Oregon Board of Massage Therapist rules and statures that govern the practice of massage therapy
2. Assess personal needs, behaviors, beliefs, attitudes, and knowledge relevant to the practice of massage therapy and bodywork.
3. Identify how personal and cultural values, attitudes, and ethics influence professional values, attitudes and ethics.
4. Define and demonstrate active listening, rapport, empathy and feedback.
5. Identify strategies to effectively deal with emotional and behavioral client responses to massage therapy and bodywork treatment
6. Describe the principles of conflict resolution and apply conflict resolution skills effectively in the client-therapist relationship.
7. Discuss the importance and characteristics of professional boundaries including cultural differences as it relates to the practice of a massage therapy
8. Explain the boundaries of touch and intimacy as it applies to massage therapy and bodywork.
• Syllabus review, hybrid format, rules and laws board quiz into.
• Ethical Foundations discussion
• Boundaries discussion
• Dual Relationships and Sequential Relationships
• Benefits and risks
• Dynamics of Effective Communication discussion
• Quiz #1
• Touch and Intimacy discussion
• Rules and Laws Quiz
• Practice management and Team management
• Business Ethics discussion
• Support systems
• Quiz #2
• Final project
Massage Therapy Program Certificate and Degree require courses to be completed with a grade of "C" (75%) or higher.