OL 294CA : Canoe Program Instruction and Guiding
Canoe Instructing and Guiding
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Prerequisites with concurrency
Introduce students to guiding, teaching and leading flat and moving water canoe programs. May also introduce swift water rescue, whitewater techniques, etc.. Students will be instructed on the use of a variety of canoeing equipment and techniques used for travel by canoe within instructing/guiding situations (this course will teach much of the preliminary level material). Topics will include such areas as: water dynamics, rescue, client care and welfare, managing a group setting, risk assessment, as well as specific technical skills. Emphasis will be placed on advanced technical skill development and practical application. Although some time will be spent canoeing, this is not an activity course; all aspects of the course will be designed to teach the basic concepts of leading others in a variety of canoeing situations.
1. Plan and organize a basic canoe curriculum for novice through intermediate participants.
2. Assess and Support beginning level participants during a canoe program.
3. Apply effective risk management methods for a canoe program
4. Integrate an assessment of a client’s abilities and limitations into an appropriate canoe program.
5. Determine effective decisions concerning specific ethical considerations of canoeing.