Indonesian Field Study I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
Instructor approval based on completion of Field Study Readiness Checklist.
This course is the first of a three-class sequence. Prepares students for international field research training about conservation, sustainability and biodiversity. Topics include Indonesian people, culture and history, Indonesian language. Students will development and design a conservation-related field research project that will be conducted in Indonesia.
1. Discuss cultural and historical aspects of Indonesia.
2. Express basic phrases in Bahasan language, orally and in writing.
3. Apply primary scientific literature about animal behavior (with an emphasis on primates) in order to create a field research project in the context of conservation, sustainability and biodiversity.
• Cultural aspects of Indonesia
• Basic phrases in Bahasan language
• History of Indonesia
• History of Indonesia Field Studies Institute
• Animal and Primate Behavior research
• Orientation to Field Research
• Designing field research projects
Selected articles related to course topics and primary scientific literature about animal and primate behavior.
Students are assessed via written and oral quizzes; the course culminates in the creation of a proposal for a field research project to be completed during the International Field Study Program in Indonesia.