2nd Year Spanish I
Standard letter grades
Contact hours total
SPAN 103 or three years of high school Spanish.
First course of the second-year sequence. Continues, after SPAN 103, with the intermediate development of reading, writing, listening and speaking skills. Includes review of the preterite tense and vocabulary from SPAN 103. Focuses on the imperfect tense, (usages with and in conjunction with the preterite), indirect, direct, and double object pronouns, indefinite and negative words, por/para, creating adverbs, and vocabulary including the following categories: chores and housework, fiestas and other celebrations, pastimes and diversion, and accidents.
1. Review of the preterite tense: verbos regulares, verbos con un cambio de raíz ( stem-change ) y los verbos irregulars.
2. Vocabulario de limpieza y los quehaceres domésticos.
3. The imperfect tense (in addition to the preterite, another past tense). Las palabras negativas e indefinidas.
4. El vocabulario de los pasatiempos y la diversion.
5. Indirect object pronouns (me, te, le, nos, os1, les).
6. Double object pronouns (me lo, te la, se los, etc.).
7. Vocabulario de las fiestas y las celebraciones.
8. Comparison of the preterite and imperfect.
9. More uses of the preterite and imperfect.
10. Vocabulario de los accidents.
11. Preterite and imperfect with emotions and mental states.
12. Preterite and imperfect: an overview.
General education/Related instruction lists
- Arts and Letters
- Cultural Literacy