The Automotive Basic Skills with Welding Career Pathway Certificate of Completion is designed to provide a range of skills required for the automotive industry, including basic internal combustion engines and theory, basic direct current electrical and schematic understanding, and vehicle inspection. The largest portion addresses shop and vehicle safety.
The certificate prepares students for the Automotive Service Excellence certification in (G1) Maintenance and Light Repair.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate correct voltage, current, and resistance measurements on series and parallel circuits using a digital multimeter.
- Describe the fundamental principles of automotive shop safety and tool care.
- Describe and apply basic mechanical skills to the tasks of basic vehicle identification, inspection, routine maintenance, handling, and lubrication.
- Demonstrate the correct name and function of basic hand tools.
- Demonstrate the use of an automotive diagnostic scan tool and record various data from the scan tool.
- Demonstrate and apply safety protocols while working in the shop, around small gas engines, and handling hazardous materials.
- Gain exposure and experience with the operation of welding as it applies to automotive applications.