The Automotive Controller Systems Technician Level I Career Pathway Certificate of Completion trains students to be the key troubleshooter of a vehicle’s drivability problems. Students learn to identify everything from power train malfunctions to ignition failures using state-of-the-art computer diagnostic equipment. Students will be well prepared to work with multiple vehicle platforms to reprogram vehicle computer systems for safety and vehicle function. Students will become competent working with logic circuits and controller area network.
The certificate prepares students for the Automotive Service Excllence certification in (A6) Automotive Electrical/Electronic Systems and (A8) Automotive Engine Performance.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate appropriate basic technical knowledge and practical skills necessary for employment in Automotive Technology from previous basic skills courses, plus second level electrical / electronic courses.
- Perform various scan tool operations to update vehicle modifications.
- Describe the use of Controller Area Network on operational vehicles.
- Describe the need for system features as applied to vehicle safety.
- Perform Vehicle Data List, Parameter Identification (PIDS) and Service Identification (SIDS) extraction.
- Describe vehicle reprogramming for performance and emissions.
- Perform vehicle reprogramming for software issues updates.