The Automotive Engine Performance Technician Career Pathway Certificate of Completion trains students to be the key troubleshooter in a vehicle’s drivability problems. Students learn to identify everything from powertrain malfunctions to ignition failures using state-of-the-art computer diagnostic equipment.
The certificate prepares students for the Automotive Service Excellence certification in (A6) Automotive Electrical/Electronic Systems, (A8) Automotive Engine Performance, and (L1) Advanced Engine Performance Specialist.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate appropriate basic technical knowledge and practical skills necessary for employment in Automotive Technology from previous basic skills courses, plus first level electrical / electronic courses.
- Apply Charles’s Law and Boyle’s Law on the study of engine performance.
- Diagnose and repair ignition and fuel systems.
- Perform analysis techniques working with computer controls, emission systems, and vehicle performance.
- Diagnose and repair output devices and system actuators using oscilloscopes, digital volt / ohmmeters, and scan tools.