The Automotive Clean Energy Diesel Technician (Advanced) Career Pathway Certificate of Completion trains students to be the key troubleshooter of a vehicle’s drivability problems on the latest light duty diesel systems. Students identify powertrain malfunctions using the latest computer diagnostic equipment. The certificate also trains students on the operational principles and theory of hydraulically actuated electronically controlled unit injection systems, electronic unit injection systems, and common rail systems.
This certificate applies toward Automotive Service Excellence certification in (A6) Automotive Electrical/Electronic Systems and (A9) Diesel Engine Performance.
Program Learning Outcomes
Upon successful completion of the program, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate appropriate basic technical knowledge and practical skills necessary for employment in Automotive Technology from previous basic skills courses, plus second level electrical / electronic courses.
- Develop safety strategies in relation to high-pressure injection systems.
- Describe diesel engine dynamics and basic operation.
- Describe the evolution of the diesel fuel systems.
- Perform On-Vehicle testing on EUI* and HUEI* Systems
- Describe the operation of exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) and perform testing.
- Perform On-Vehicle (DPF) Diesel Particulate Filter cleaning and (DOC) Diesel Oxidation Catalyst testing.
- Describe Controller Area Network (CAN) and Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) J1939 as they apply to Diesel onboard communication.
- Develop sustainable practices of recycling fluids and batteries.